Hendrick Ramaala - 27:43.07 - in Port Elizabeth ABSA 2003 (© Mark Ouma)
South Africa's Hendrick Ramaala won the Lisbon Half-Marathon with a sprint finish on Sunday, while Olympic 10,000m champion Derartu Tulu of Ethiopia repeated her victory of last year in the women's event.
Ramaala, who finished second here last year, covered the 21.10- kilometre course in Lisbon in 1:02:10.
After running shoulder-to-shoulder with John Korir from the start, Ramaala outpaced the Kenyan in a sprint to the finish line to win by three seconds. Mitei Enoch of Kenya placed third, clocking 1:02:41.
Tulu was an easy winner in the women's race. She had a time of one hour, 11 minutes and 30 seconds. Joyce Chepchumba of Kenya was second with 1:11:44. Beata Rakonzczai of Hungary finished third at 1:15:06.
More than 14,000 athletes took part in the two events.
1. Hendrick Ramaala, RSA, 1:02:10
2. John Korir, KEN, 1:02:13.
3. Mitei Enoch, KEN, 1:02:41.
4. Christopher Cheboiboch, KEN, 1:03:30.
5. David Mokori, KEN, 1:03:34.
1. Derartu Tulu, ETH, 1:11:30.
2. Joyce Chepchumba, KEN, 1:11:44.
3. Beata Rakonczai, HUN, 1:15:06.
4. Marima Denoba, KEN, 1:15.06.
5. Iness Chenonge, KEN, 1:15.06.